UK Immigration and Visas

General information:

If you are from outside the EEA or Switzerland, you are likely to need to apply for a visa in order to study at Cambridge.

If you come from within the EEA and Switzerland, you are likely to need to apply for a visa if you are moving to the UK to study.

If you already have UK immigration permission in another category, you may be able to study on that without needing to apply for a student visa.   You will need to provide evidence of this prior to starting at Cambridge.

Irish citizens are not subject to UK immigration control and do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme or a visa to live and study in the UK.

The UK operates an immigration system underpinned by the principle of sponsorship. You must apply for a visa before travelling to the UK, unless you already have a visa that permits you to apply for further leave to remain under the student route.  Further details can be found here.

For all other queries please go to The International Student Office website.

Collecting your BRP:

When your entry clearance student visa has been granted, you will be issued a time-limited entry vignette in your passport which will enable you to travel to the UK. You must arrive in the UK while the entry vignette is valid.

You will need to collect your actual visa, in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), when you arrive in the UK, either from your College or the local Post Office. Your BRP is the documentary evidence of your UK immigration permission.

Providing copies of your immigration documents:

After you have arrived in the UK but before your studies begin, you are required to upload your immigration documents to your College for checking. An information sheet on this process will be in your registration pack.  Please read the instructions before uploading any documentation.

Termly Registration:

The majority of students on a visa will need to register each term. At the start of Full Term you will receive an email from the Deanery Office asking you to confirm (within seven days) that you are engaged with study and are abiding by the terms of your student visa. At this time a check will also be carried out on your contact details.

The International Student Office provides specialist support to the University and Colleges to ensure compliance with student immigration legislation and has responsibility for the University’s Student Visa sponsorship of its overseas students. 

↑ Top of the page